THE ST. STANISLAUS BENEVOLENT SOCIETY was initially called the Sw. Stanisław Biskupa Patrona Polski (St. Stanislaus, Bishop and Patron of Poland). The Society was founded January 26, 1889 in San Francisco (meeting at St. Boniface Church) and incorporated in 2002.
The Society is open to anyone who is Catholic and of Polish descent or who supports the mission of the Catholic Church and the St. Stanislaus Society. The mission of the St. Stanislaus Benevolent Society, a nonprofit charitable organization, is to give support to Polish religious, educational and cultural endeavors. The Society’s main source of revenue is membership dues, as well as bequests and donations.
In 1926, The St. Stanislaus Benevolent Society became one of three founding members of the Polish Club, a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation that operates the Polish Club. The Society contributed money towards purchase of the building at 3040 22nd Street in San Francisco’s Mission District, now known as Dom Polski or The Polish Club. The Club serves as a meeting place and social hall for Polish community activities. As a founding member of the Polish Club, the St. Stanislaus Benevolent Society elects representatives to the Polish Club Board of Directors.
The St. Stanislaus Benevolent Society is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization (Tax ID#: 33-1028608)
See Entries from Early San Francisco City Directories | San Francisco Call 1893 | Historic Newspaper Articles